People visiting physical shops is becoming a thing of yesterday, with more and more shoppers purchasing their goods online, but how do you know you’re getting the best deal available?
Even when shopping at a specific shop online, it will often have coupon codes all year round, but finding that particular one that saves you the most can be a time-consuming task.
That’s where the Honey extension app comes in handy.
In this comprehensive Honey Browser Extension review, you will learn the following
- What is the Honey extension app?
- How do the Honey extension and Honey app work?
- What are the main features of Honey browser extension?
- Is Honey app legit?
- Is Honey extension safe?
- Does Honey extension work with Amazon?
- Does Honey extension work on mobile?
- The Pros and Cons
Other posts you might like:
Honey Browser Extension Review
What is the Honey Extension App?
Honey is an extension for your browser or an app (only available for the US users at the moment), that searches online for the best deals for you.
What vouchers are available to you though Honey, will slightly differ, depending on where you live. But ultimately Honey will save you money while shopping. Honey does this by searching online for the best vouchers available for the site you are shopping on.
The honey extension app was developed in the US, and the extension and app are available for US users. UK users can only use the extension, as the app is not available as of yet.
If you are not familiar with web browser extensions, it’s small piece of software that adds on to your web browser for your laptop or desktop. This allows Honey to be active and searching vouchers while you shop (example of where the extension will be below):
The honey extension app is compatible with over 40,000 shopping sites, and searches automatically.
Honey’s mission is that “We give everyone the tools it takes to find the best savings, perks, and all around value – making online shopping fair for everyone. Free and easy to use“.
Honey currently has over 17 million members, and have saved the members over $1 billion. They have also given members over $8 million in rewards (gift cards).
Honey currently supports shopping sites in the United States, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom with more to come.
How Does Honey Extension Work?
Living in the UK, I have only been able to use the browser extension and features available here, but I will mention all the functionality.
First things first you need to download the extension.
Then Sign-up to Honey – this is made easy as you can use your google or Facebook account, or enter your details (you can sign up below:).
The extension is then added to your web browser and works with – Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge or Opera.
My experience is with Google Chrome and it works really well on this platform. You will notice a little icon appear on the web browser window.
If the H is grey it means Honey is not linked to that site, so no savings this time.
If it turns orange that means you are connected and you can click on the icon to show you vouchers, add to your drop list, price history and gold rewards. Or you can wait and the deals automatically pop up when you start to check out.
It is that easy.
Here’s a quick look at how the Honey browser extension works:
Honey is great for deals on BOOHOOMAN. I regularly use this website to shop, and have saved £40 since the beginning of September alone!
How does Honey App work?
So being in the UK, I need to refer to Honey to explain the difference between the browser extension and the app – as I can’t try the app.
They are designed to be different.
The browser basically works on the website you are shopping on and helps you get the best deal.
The app however, brings together millions of products from 1,000’s of sites, with their vouchers, allowing you to put them in one basket and actually buy through Honey in one purchase.
However, having a look through the reviews on Apple Apps store, it’s only rate 3.9 out of 5.
Most of the negative reviews come from the fact that the app works differently as the extension and it seems to be clunky.
So, there’s definitely room for improvement.
If you don’t see the Honey window popping up, check you pop-up or ad blockers in your browser settings.
What are the main features of the Honey extension?
Here are some main features that Honey browser extension to save you money.
1. Savings Finder – This applies discount vouchers as you checkout using the browser, or as you shop using the app.
2. Honey Gold – This is like cash back, so you earn while you spend. This goes into your account quarterly and can be used to purchase gift cards from several well-known stores. Such as Amazon, Spotify, Gap, Footlocker, ASOS, Tesco.
You need 1000 gold points for a $10 gift card, or 1400 for £10 in the UK, due to the exchange rates.
3. Price History – exactly as it sounds and shows you the recent history for the item you are buying. This is a great tool to use for Christmas shopping to save money.
4. Droplist (US members only) – allows you to add the items you are interested in buying at the price you want, https://itsnotyour9to5.com/mone-saving-ideas-for-christmasand then notifies you if the price drops. It works on both the extension and app. Honey says they are working on rolling this out to other countries.
5. Amazon Best Price – Honey doesn’t get you discounts on Amazon, but will show you the best price from several sellers. This feature already exists in Amazon so for me it is not that important.
Earning gold can be a little slow, it’s a percentage of the purchase. However, if you invite 2 friends to Honey and they use it. You will also receive a $10/£10 gift card.
Is Honey Extension safe?
Honey extension is Free and secure. This is important to Honey and a big part of their business. They currently have +17M users, lots of high rated reviews.
The UK Trustpilot has Honey at 4.6, which is an excellent score.
Having read some of the negative reviews, I believe that the users who didn’t get discounts either had the location or pop-up setting wrong. I have never had any issues with the extension, and have almost come to expect a discount when shopping.
Is Honey App Legit?
Yes, Honey is completely legit!
They earn money from commission from the stores you purchase from and are keen to point out they don’t share your data.
In addition, just to give you even more confidence;
The tech company responsible for developing and running Honey is owned by Paypal (bought in 2019, their largest ever acquisition for $4B)
Being based in LA they sponsor the LA Clippers basketball team (they train at the Honey Training Centre), so they have a very public presence, which is also supported with the typical high level of US customer service.
Does Honey work on Amazon?
It certainly links and the H turns orange and shows the cheapest option, price data and gold amount you will receive. BUT it won’t get you discounts.
As I mentioned earlier, Amazon already has a feature to identify the cheapest price, therefore, I don’t see too much benefit using Honey browser on Amazon.
Does Honey Extension work on mobile?
The browser extension does not work on phones or tablets; therefore, you have to use a real computer. However, for those in the US, there is the app option, both Apple and Android.
Make sure you select the right country for your location, if not Honey will not find the offers for you, as you will be on a UK site, while the extension is searching for US codes!
Honey Extension App Pros and Cons:
- It’s FREE while saving you real money.
- Takes the hard work out of finding vouchers / coupon codes
- Works with over 40,000 stores
- Provides cashback through reward cards
- Work automatically in the background
- One checkout for multiple purchases on the Honey App
- Price monitoring and price history tracking so you know the best time to buy
- Does not track how much you have saved over time
- Limited in the region: Honey App is only available in the US. Honey Extension is only available in the US, UK, Australia, and Canada.
- The extension only gets you the best deal for the site you are on.
- The extension only works on desktop/laptop; therefore, you can’t use it on the go.
- Honey app doesn’t work as well as the browser extension.
Other posts that may interest you:
Honey Browser Extension Review – Final thought
Honey is absolutely worth giving a try.
Honey claims to offer an average discount of 17.9% and an average yearly savings of $126/£95.
The discounts for me have been regular, and consistent, like welcome discounts, free shipping, or general discounts.
If you are in one of the countries that Honey extension app covers, my question is, why WOULDN’T you use this clever FREE extension to save you some money?
To put your mind at rest, Honey extension app is legit and safe, so you can enjoy saving money online hassle free.
If you found this post useful, you might want to save THIS PIN below to your Pinterest Save Money Online board for for later!
Hello! My name is Adam and welcome to my space on the internet. Here you can find me writing about topics such as lifestyle, self-care, self-development, finance, saving money and making money. Come and join the community!